Friday, January 7, 2011

Gulf Coast 70.3 Training Week 1

As of Monday I have started my training for the Gulf Coast 70.3 Triathlon.  After going back and forth, on whether to hire a coach, etc., I decided to use a modification of the training schedule I used for IM August 70.3 (now as soon as Gulf Coast is over I am seriously thinking about picking up a coach for IM Augusta and IM Florida, as that double-whammy may be a little too much for me to bite off).

Anyway, I am using the tri-newbies 18 week half ironman intermediate schedule, although I replaced the swim workouts with the "Workouts in a binder -- swim workouts for triathletes" book.  It is a 12 week program, so I am setting it up as weeks 1-6, and rolling that into weeks 1-12, for a total of 18 weeks.  The yardage is significantly more than the tri-newbies.  For example, tri newbies has me swimming  3 times for a total of 3k meters the first week.  This book has me swimming 4 times for a total of 9,950 m.  Wow, that is a huge difference (although this week I will swim between 5300 and 8100 m).  I can definately tell the difference.  My running isn't as strong with achilles tendonitis, but I am run/walking the minutes stated per workout.  Last year for augusta the wheels fell off at week 12, and I am hoping to make it all the way through this time.

Week 1 went by pretty well, although waking up at 5 AM was very, very hard.  I was in such a groove before christmas break, but 2 weeks of staying up late and sleeping in until 10 am ruined that.  I have a final swim, bike and run to do this weekend, but it should go over pretty well.  I am supposed to go ride with some friends tomorrow and follow it up with a brick.  Should be interesting.

Have a good 'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment