Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hit And Run At The County Line (really)

So after blowing up at IM Augusta 70.3, this past week was a recovery week.  Good thing, because while I was not that tired/sore after Augusta, I did have a nasty case of pink eye -- and -- got hit by a car.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself....  If you want to skip to it, here is the garmin file  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117998108

Monday was a rest day.  Good b/c I was driving back down from Augusta, wondering why my left eye hurt (and was red).  Tuesday, woke up (eye still hurt) and did a 45 min easy spin on the stationary bike.  Then I went to the doctor in the am, and he confirmed pink eye.  So no work Tue and Wed.  Tue pm, swap at the pool 1500yds.  Wed 30 min easy jog on treadmill.  Then Thursday came along.

Thurs am, I hit the pool again, 1600yds, felt out of sync, but whatever.  Thurs pm, I had a 60 min bike ride.  15 min warm-up, 30 min at 70.3 pace, and 15 min cool down.  Normally for a hour bike ride, I'd put my bike in the trainer and watch netflix while I rode.  But today, I wanted to get out.  Being cooped up in the house 2 days was driving me crazy.

So, after work, I headed to the St. Marks Trail, the trailhead at Capital Circle.  Now I've been riding the St. Marks Trail a lot lately.  Actually, pretty much exclusively since that bicyclist was killed on Tram Road a few months ago.  At that time, I thought that it was my brother -- he was riding his bike on Tram Road at the same time as the guy -- and it took awhile to find out it wasn't him.  Anyway, that whole incident freaked me out so that I started riding the St. Marks Trail.

Ended up wheels rolling around 6:15 PM.  Had a nice 15 min warm-up.  Then transitioned into 30 minutes at race pace.  This time (as opposed to Augusta), I followed the plan and stuck to race pace, keeping my heart rate at 145 bpm.  It came out pushing 21-22 mpg.  Fifteen minutes down the trail, then turnaround and come back up.  It was a nice evening, bikes/pedestrians on the trail, but not too bad.  Traffic from cars was not too bad either. 

For those who do not know, the trail is about 8 feet wide, asphalt, and paralells Woodville Highway from Tallahassee to St. Marks (i.e., the Gulf of Mexico).  It is mostly shaded, a pretty trail, but flat and straight.  Boring, but good training for IMFL.  It also intersects various roads and driveways, but the traffic is pretty good with keeping an eye out for visitors.

Anyway, 42 mintues into my ride, I was coming up on where Bob Miller Road intersects the trail.  This intersection is not bad at all, plenty of visibility for people on the trail and vehicular traffic on Bob Miller.  As with other crossings, there is a stop sign at Bob Miller right before the trail.  So, people on the trail have right-of-way over vehicular traffic.  As soon as the car stops, and let trail traffic through, it can cross the trial and turn left or right on Old Woodville Highway. 

So, I am crusing along, having a fantastic ride -- in fact even asking myself why the heck didn't I stick to the plan at Augusta -- when I see a small suv on Bob Miller approaching the stop sign.  The suv is slowing down, but as I get closer to it, the more I realize it is doing a "rolling stop" as opposed to a legit stop.  Rolling stops and oncoming bicycles do not mix.  At.  All.

So about this time, I realize that there was only a very minimal chance that I was going to make it around in front of the suv.  No way could I speed up and pass in front of it.  So I braked hard and prayed I would stop before hitting the suv.  Without having time to double-check, I get the feeling that the suv is one of those late model Honda CRV's and is either silver or light blue.

Skinny tires do not stop well.  So I skid and skid and skid.  SUV keeps rolling and rolling and rolling, never stops moving.  I just pray that the suv stops.  Not so.

Comparing speed and heart rate.


Next thing I know, I'm in front of suv.  As best as I can recall, three things happen simultaneously: (1) I hear a crash/crumpling noise; (2) I'm sliding up the hood of the car; and (3) the driver looks at me.  For the first time I realize the driver is a white female, I think with dark brown hair, in mid-40's.  Next thing I know, I'm on the ground, facing the way I came.  Did a 180 in the air before landing.  Because of the way my bike and I are lying and ground, we are actually facing the driver side door/window, but about 8-10 feet away.  The suv is stopped.  The driver looks at me.  I look at the driver.  Then the SUV's wheels start rolling.  I loudly exclaim the only three words that come to mind -- "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" -- well, not those exact three words, but you can figure it out from the first letter of each word.

Note about the picture below.  Looking north, the way I was heading (back to the trailhead).  You can see the bike is facing south.  Did a 180 in the air after being launched off the hood.  IMFL is in 5 weeks, so I'm already having nightmares about having to drum up another bike.


Next thing I know the suv is hauling ass down the road.  I try to get up to give chase, but I'm tangled up in the bike.  I can't really see the license plate b/c the crash knocked off my glasses.  Can't find my glasses.  Can't find my phone.  I have no idea how bad my injuries are, but can feel a huge surge of adrenaline kicking in.  Don't have any means of pursuit.  SUV makes a quick left on the next road (maybe 30 yards away). 

So I think when I went over the hood of her SUV I left some of my shoe-leather on it.


Bitch broke my cleates.  Maybe I scratched her suv with them... left a yellow streak on the hood to match her spine.


I'll let you imagine the loud vocalizations I emitted for the next 10 seconds.  Still hoping the neighbors didn't have kids outside, b/c that was an education their gentle ears did not need to hear.  All I can think about is Ironman Florida is in 5 weeks.  I have been waiting a year for this freaking race and this bitch hits me, probably ruins my bike, and runs off.

About that time, I find my phone, dial 911, and a truck pulls up.  They ask me what happened and I explained hit and run, and give them a description of the car and the give chase.  Actually the guy in the passenger seat says he thought it was a dark vehicle.  Could have been.  In all honesty, I am quickly realizing what a shitty witness I would be.

I start talking to the 911 operator, explaining what happened.  I am checking to see if my body parts are in place.  Don't know if it is the adrenaline, but I am numb.  I can see scrapes on both calves, and on my right arm.  My right wrist is already starting to get tender and my right hip is getting sore.  Luckily I see no blood, no bones sticking out of me, and see no immediate swelling.  I was talking to the operator while talking to tons of other vehicles and bicyclists who stopped.  Funny thing, I didn't know where I was and had to ask a passing truck.  The 911 operator could not pull that location up.  Turns out I had the 911 operator for Leon county but was in Wakulla county (actually literally on top of the county line).  So I get put on hold... and then get tranferred to Wakulla 911 operator.  Then Wakulla 911 operator can't find my intersection.  Geez.

So the Wakulla 911 operator finds my intersection, after I told her about a dozen times the intersection my bicycle was right in the middle of.  Vehicles are passing left, right, etc.  I'd say about 80% stopped (probably b/c my bike was in their way and I wasn't touching it until the sheriff arrived) and asked if I was ok.  They were all shocked when I explained it was a hit and run.  Most offered to look for the suv, but enough time had passed that I didn't want to send them off and find the wrong suv and bet the living daylights out of the driver.  Also, I wanted to leave the bike in the middle of the road as long as possible so as many vehicles as possible would see it.  First maybe to get them talking about it and find out who hit me.  Second to let them know that it could have just as easily been them who hit me (or anyone else).

My hip was sore/bruised from landing on the ground, but luckily this was the wost of the visible damage.


A lot of trail traffic stopped also.  So I am very thankful and very comforted by the amount of vehicles and trail users who stopped to check on me.  That really meant a lot to me, and makes me want to pay more attention to those stopped on the road.  I will usually yell out while on my bike and ask if people stopped need help, but will probably make a little more effort to check on them.


speed and heart rate


speed and heart rate


Cadence and heart rate (cadence is orange)


Cadence and heart rate (cadence is orange)


Snap some pictures of my bike in the intersection and post one on facebook for the heck of it.  I was on my feet walking around, and my bike was still lying in the road, when the ambulance shows up.  The two paramedics look me over, take down some info.  I decline the ride to the hospital b/c I don't want to leave my bike all alone, and and they take off when the sheriff arrives.

The sheriff was nice, seemed genuinely put out that there was a hit and run on trail traffic, and took pictures, info, etc.  He was hopeful that with it being a residential area that the person may turn themselves in later, or maybe a family member or the neighbors would call when they heard about the crash.  Told me to check back in a few days.  I hate to say it, but I was a really horrible witness.  All the things I should know, but "it happend so fast."  None of that time slowing down bullshit.  Just skid/boom/land.

I figure the driver panicked and hauled ass.  Willing to bet it was one of two reasons: (1) driver was a teen-ager (like I said, I make a horrible witness); or (2) driver was drunk/no license/no insurance/on probation/etc.  I suspect the latter (no offense to those living in Wakulla County, but you know exactly what I'm talking about -- TPT baby).  Probably will never find the driver.

So I call Sissy to come get me.  Dreading this call b/c I know exaclty how it is going to go

Me:  Hey baby.
Sissy:  Hey
Me:  Whatcha doin?
Sissy:  Going to bed.
Me:  Can you come get me?
Sissy:  What?
Me:  Can you come get me?
Sissy:  Why?  I'm in my pajamas.  Didn't you drive your truck?
Me:  I'm not at my truck.
Sissy:  Why do you want me to come get you?
Me:  Well, don't freak out, I'm ok.  I got hit by a car.
Sissy:  WHAT!!!!!!!!
Me:  Yeah, hit and run.  She hit me, I went up on and over the hood, flipped.
Sissy:  (freaking out now) How did that happen, you are riding on the St. Marks Trail? 
Me:  Calm down Sissy, I'm ok.  I need you to be calm so you can drive down here and get me without crashing.  Take a deep breath.  I'm ok.
Sissy:  Yeah but, but....

You can use your imagination for the rest of the conversation.  Bottom line is Sissy doesn't ever want me riding any bike again (unless it is inside).  As far as I'm concerned, if I can get hit on the St. Marks Trail, I can get hit anywhere.

Friday morning, I stroll into work and hear "Jason Hand, get down here."  I know what's coming.  My boss (interim) is one of my facebook friends.  Story gets told repeaedtly about the hit and run -- coworkers are in shock.

I wanna thank all my facebook friends (i.e, Tallahassee Triathletes).  Means a lot that you guys were so concerned about me.

So, Saturday my brother and I ride the SMT.  Best thing to do when you get bucked off the horse -- get back on.  I took my road bike, didn't want to ride the tri bike b/c all the previous stories I have read say not to ride the bike until it can be shipped back to the manufacturer for x-rays to see if there are cracks inside the frame.  From the stories of other crashes I have read, basically, the bike is considered totaled until proven otherwise.  We took it nice and easy, I showed my brother where I was hit.  However, every intersection I came to, I slowed down and quadruple-checked for traffic.  There were several times where I almost panicked coming up to an intersection, even with no vehicle in sight.  I can tell the St. Marks Trail is ruined for me for training, really for anything other than jogging and recreational riding.

Sunday, ran the trail. Of course I'll keep running the trail until after IMFL, b/c the trail is long, flat and boring -- just like the IMFL run course.  Or as close as I can get here in Tallahassee.  But I'm done with that biking the trail bullshit.

Let me tell you, getting hit by a car sucks.  That night, it was impossible to get to sleep.  I kept having flashbacks about going up on the hood of the car.  Heart rate was going crazy.  Kept feeling all these strange sore spots and thinking I was having trouble breathing.  My right ankle, right knee, right hip, right wrist, right elbow and right shoulder were sore.  My back was sore.  The next day I had equilibrium problems throughout the day.  Didn't really think much about it until I read that it could be a concussion.  But by then it had been close to 24 hours, so I just decided to closely monitor how I felt.  Even several days later other sore spots jumped up, my left knee, right forearm, left ankle, even ribs would randomly hurt.  I've still had trouble sleeping for several nights.  Don't sleep as soundly as I used to and wake-up easily, and startle easily during the day.

But all things being equal, I'm very lucky to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment