Monday, April 25, 2011

Week 17 -- Last week before taper for Gulf Cost 70.3

It is 7:16 Monday morning, and I'm off to a rough start.  I did set my alarm clock for 5:00 to swim, but somehow the volume was too low so I didn't hear it to wake up.  Slacker!  I really was looking forward to swimming this am, it would have been a great recovery workout.  Weighed myself on the scale -- 197.0.  Damn you, easter dinner!  I knew that was going to happen.

So it is Monday afternoon, and I just signed up for Gulf Coast.  Can't back out now.  I also made hotel reservations for Ironman Florida.  So I have now registered and made hotel reservations for Gulf Cost 70.3, Ironman Augusta 70.3, and Ironman Florida.  The only pending races left are that I signed up for a Jax sprint series and need to get hotel reservations for that as well.  Will play that by ear though, b/c IMFL training comes first.  Oh yeah, I did an easy 45 min on the trainer/tri bike.

Tue am -- 45 min easy on the trainer.  PM  5 mile easy trail run -- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81827307.

Wed -- went to bed late last night (again).  slept poorly.  woke up this am wondering why sissy set the alarm clock so early.  I turned it off for her, then realized I set the alarm clock so I could swim.  damn....  Good news is that I am down to 195.0.  Man, it's been a while. 

Didn't even set the coffee timer last night.  brew coffee.  can't even measure a tablespoon of coffee grounds.  can't wake up...  shot of gatoraid to get me going, then off to Trousdale.  Double-damn, FWC trainees are in the pool taking up at least 4 of the "public" lanes.  Fuck this.  Off to Myers park.  It doesn't open till 6, but I will wait a few minutes in the parking lot.  Get to Myers park, nobody but me there.... no staff.  Wait till 6, still no staff... Double-fuck this.  I'm going home and back to bed. 

On the way home, I decide to swing by Trousdale and see if FWC trainess are done.  Yes!  Ok, hit the pool.  Find an empty lane, and "Thumper" tries to get out of his "crowded" lane and share this one with me.  I don't even look at him.  Luckily he goes to another lane.  Guy drives me crazy with his atomic bomb splash-kicks.  So my swim -- sucked.  Don't know what it is, but I am literally depleted.  Way beyond simply being tired (and grinding out a set), but my body is saying stop this now.  So after my warm-up and a few laps of my first set, I call it a day at 20 minutes.  Trying to learn to listen to my body -- to distinguish between "tired" and "stop."

So I am supposed to ride my bike this pm, and will probably pack it in the truck -- but I seriously question whether I will do so.  If I feel like this, I am just going to rest and go to bed early tonight.  Update -- rode the trainer for an hour Wed night, then went to bed at 9PM.  Man, I really needed that.

Thurs -- Alarm clock went off at 5, and I reset it for 6.  Good call.  Woke up and weighed myself -- 194.0!  Insanity AM, bear as usual.  For some reason I was whipped today -- my body and brain were exhauseted.  I was sucking ass before lunch, made myself go to Siam Sushi for some chicken pad thai for lunch (and a small bag of cherry nibblets twizzlers).  stuffed most of the pm, but finally came around and started feeling better around 4 or 4:30.  So I decided to try an easy 4miles at Tom Brown after work.  Turned out ok, but my legs started cramping a bit at the end. Also -- kinda neat, there was about a 6 foot gator sunning himself right when you leave cadillac trail and hit the lake.  He was literally just off the shore on a small exposed sandbar.  Would have taken pix if I had brought my phone.   http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82204892 I don't think it was loss of electrolytes as much as it was sore tendons and sore bone/joint in my right food.  I need to take it easy if I want to do Gulf Coast 70.3 next weekend. 

So afterward I had my gatoraid recovery drink, then came home and had a bowl of campbell's chicken noodle soup.  That is becoming my go to dinner if I eat a bigger lunch during the day.  I think I mentioned this previously, but I am trying to eat about 200 calories every couple of hours throughout the entire day.  Probably a little on the low side, but giving it a shot. 

Oh yeah, powerbar perform drink is half off at trisports.com, and I think gnc.  I am going to check gnc tomorrow at lunch and if so get some.  If not order a bunch from trisports.  I actually like that stuff.

This weekend, I think I am going to go to Blountstown Sunday morning and hook up with a buddy and ride bikes down to Mexico Beach.  It is about 55 miles.  Hitch a ride with him and his wife on the way back.  Should be one good last training ride before Gulf Coast.  Maybe I will send my running shoes down with his wife and run a few miles once I get there.

Friday -- so I woke up on time -- 5AM, and went to Trousdale.  No FWC, no crowds.  Did my "Workouts in a Binder, Swim Workouts For Triathletes" Endurance 10 Set A workout -- 3k meters in 1:02, pretty much still on target.  First long swim since last wed. 

Since about the week before Red Hills I have not had many weeks where I had multiple long swims, and this week is no different.  I am kind of glad Gulf Coast is right around the corner, because I will use that to hit the "reset" button, if you will.  Take it easy and maybe cross train for a few weeks, then jump into training for IMFL.

Re training for IMFL, I really want to get a coach, but want to make sure I can afford it before I commit.  I am still waiting to see how much damage the Florida Legislature and Governor do to state employees this session.  There are talks of a three pronged attack -- 5-10% pay cut, pay into retirement accounts 5-10%, and pay more for health insurance and state caps insureance coverage at 5k.  I could live with any one of these, but all three -- hell no.  I would have to leave state employment.  The one that freaks me out the most is insurance.  I have a nasty little history with malignant melanoma, and I have no doubt this history will repeat itself... probably numerous times. 

Hell, state health insurance pretty much singularly saved my life.  If I did not have it, I would not have scheduled a yearly routine checkup with my doc (I know this b/c when in private practice I didn't see my doc one time), and he would not have caught the melanoma in time before it hit my lymph nodes, and I would not have been immediately put in to see Dr. Cognetta and had immediate surgery with Dr. Rosenberg.  I am alive today because of the excellent health coverage provided to state employees.  And the Florida Legislatuer and Governor want to take that away.  Hell, that is one of the reasons people work for the state -- low pay in exchange for good insurance, retirement, and annual/sick leave.  It is called a trade-off.

1 comment: