Saturday, April 9, 2011

Week 14 -- taper for Red Hills Triathlon

This was a strange week.  Work has been incredibly busy lately.  Session is in full swing, and things are hectic -- and not just in my agency.  I've never seen it like this and this is my third administration change.  I've gotta say that this is the most uncertain I have ever been as a state employee and stress levels are pretty freaking high right now.  I really enjoy my fellow co-workers in legal, and like working for my agency and the state.  I really enjoy working in government -- for the people.  Not chasing some ambulance or being an asshole b/c your client is paying you a buttload of money to be that way -- but being honorable, being faithful to our constitution and laws, and trying to make my fellow citizens trusting and proud of their government.  But, if things I anticipate happening to state employees come to pass... I will seriously have to re-consider remaining a state employee.  Sissy has always wanted to move to Colorado, Boston, DC or the like and that just may give me the push out the door that I need.  Like Melvin Udall said, "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

Anyway, enough whining, and onto.... training.  First of all, it was a sort of mini-taper leading into Red Hills Triahtlon.  I have not tapered since IM August 70.3 back in September.  Pretty much forgotten what it was like.  Looking back on the past two weeks, I think I was starting to get a little over trained.  Getting grumpy, irritable, etc.  I am still 4 weeks out of my springtime "A" event (Gulf Coast 70.3), and have just transitioned from the building to the speedwork portion of my training.  Hopefully that shift in workouts will help ease my overtraining. 

As previously referenced in my last blog, I did the tri-state century ride on Sunday.  I was planning on swimming as usual Monday morning, and hear that swimming is a great recovery workout.  So, the alarm clock goes off at 5:00 am usual, and I promptely re-set it for 7:30.  I was still exhausted.  Finally woke up at 7:30, dragged ass out of bed to main-line some coffee, and off to work.  I did manage to get in a 20 minute recovery swim at lunch, so that was good.  Did about 60 minutes on the stationary cycle monday night.  I tell you though, I was dragging ass monday.

Tuesday came, and I was still dragging ass.  Did 15 minutes on the stationary cycle in the am, just nothing in the tank.  No exercise tue pm.

Wed I went to intervals.  They were held wed b/c of some track and field bs at the track on tue.  We did 4 x 1200.  In all honesty, I was happy with my intervals.  Felt a little spring in my step.  Didn't push it, but ran solid.  I am still a little rusty from not running intervals in a long time, but I started to think that I was getting a nice bounce for Red Hills.

Thursday I swam , Endurance Speed workout number 1.  I didn't do the full workout, cut it short at 1700.  Again, just trying to keep the body moving and not burn up precious energy for Red Hills.

Friday I did a 30 minute run.  I probably ran harder than I needed to, but tried to take it easy and focus on technique.  I felt really good during and after the run.  Another big confidence booster for Red Hills.  So what happened at red hills?  You gotta read the next blog to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment