Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 11

It is Tuesday morning, and I am still sore from Sunday's bike ride.  My whole body hurts.  My left shoulder is getting sorer and sorer from my cx crash saturday.

I slept in Mon am and did a short (40 min/1500y) recovery session in the pool Mon pm.  Did insanity cardio this am, it was a 37 min "recovery" workout.  Hard, but I liked it.  I am seriously thinking about incorporating p90x or insanity into my triathlon training.  Maybe Tue/Thurs am, and one or two sessions during the weekend.  It really helps the core, which is one thing I need.
Another update, I have decided to shuffle up my eating plan (can't say diet b/c this is supposed to be change for life, not some temporary thing).  So instead of counting calories with a goal of 1400 calories per day, I am going back to what was successful for me last year at this time.  I got it from a book written by one of the editors for Runner's World -- something like training for endurance athletes or the like.  Basically it is a modified points system.  Positive points are fruits (up to 4 servings a day), veggies (up to 4 servings a day), lean protien (up to 3 servings a day), 100% whole grain (up to 3 servings a day), lowfat dairy (up to 3 servings a day), and essential fats (up to 1 serving a day).  Negative points are refined grain, sweets, fried food, full-fat dairy, fatty protien.  Goal is to have no negatives, and to find a good point total for positivies.  Last year I was eating 25-29 points (with no negatives), and stalled at around 188 lbs.  So this year I am going to see if reducing a few points (i.e, dropping the 4th serving a fruit and veggie, and the third serving of whoel grain and lowfat dairy), as the mas, which will put me at 25 points, maybe with a minimum of 20 points.  May be harsh now, but I noticed last year that as I lost more and more weight I could eat less and less (i.e., I kept getting fuller and fuller eating the same amount).

This (tue) pm, I am planning on skipping intervals and riding the cx at tom brown park.  My left calf is a little tight and I don't want to push it.  Plus, cx is fun (when not crashing).  Ended up doing cx for 90 min, toward the end my left brake started malfunctioning -- gotta look at that, but had a blast riding.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73294461

Wed I swam 2900m at Trousdale -- my left shoulder is still pretty sore from the crash so it made swimming a little tough.  I have got to pay attention to my shoulder (and to pine trees on the trails).  I had to work late so I missed the Chaires ride, and just decided to rest wed pm, bc my legs are pretty tired.

Thursday -- Woohoo!!!  Down to 196.0!!!  I haven't weighed that little since early September.  Did Insanity Plyometrics Cardio this am -- kicked my ass.  Time for a recovery protien shake.  Also -- good news on the horizon on the triathlon front.  Don't want to reveal it yet, it will probably be next month, but I will update you when I know for sure.  Don't want to jinx myself.

So thursday I went on a trail run at forrest meadows.  Took it nice and easy, had a blast.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73581336

Friday was swimming.  2700 or so.  My left shoulder was still sore from the cx crash last weekend.  I went by Doughnut Kingdom before work and took 2 doz doughnuts into work.  I ended up eating 4 during the day -- red velvet, glazed, maple, and glazed.  Man, they were good.  Rode the stationary bike for an hour friday night.

Sat am, I still weighed 196.0 (for the 3rd day in a row -- luckily after all I ate yesterday).   Walked down to Bruegers for bagel and coffe first thing in the am.  Yardwork till 11.  Then ran errands and finally went mtn bike riding at munson (cx is on the dl, brakes aren't working or something).  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73934611

I didn't get to bed until lat Sat night, so I slept in a little sun am, but still managed to get out to fm for 5 miles of trail running.  I deliberately made myself go slow -- tried to keep my hr around 140-145, except for the last couple of minutes when I kicked it up a notch.  Fun run.  I would have liked to gotten out there earlier and run with the weekly group, but I know I am not ready for that yet.  They are too fast for me, and if I run w/ them I will run harder than I need to and will increase the chances of reinjuring my achilles tendon. 

Spoke with Sean and Mandy Hudson before my run, they are looking like they are about ready for Boston.  You can tell Sean has been training hard -- he looks to have lost 5-10 lbs from last year, which when you are about 6'1 and about 178 or so to begin with, that is a significant drop (I'm ballparking these weights, etc.).  Eye of the tiger bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment