Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Week 18 -- Gulf Coast -- off and on

I have been planning, preparing, training, visualizing this week since January 3.  Everything was on track and according to plan until this last Saturday when I sprained my ankle.  In the weeks leading up to now, I was 50/50 whether I would do Gulf Coast 70.3.  Had a bad case of achilles tendonitis since November, and it finally went away (at least to a manageable part) in late Feb.  I knew that I could not train for the run like I needed to to truly compete, but was planning on using Gulf Coast as a training session - race speed in the water and bike, then play the run by ear.

After the sprained ankle, I have had to accept the fact that I really can't do Gulf Coast.  Sure I would love to give it a shot -- try the swim and bike, not run at all -- but I am simply too worried about risking further injury to my ankle and messing my my true "A" race this year -- IMFL.  That cannot happen.  I was planning on starting my training for IMFL in mid-late May, and really need to focus on rehab in between now and then to get my ankle ready for the volume it is about to encounter.

Now, if Gulf Coast were truly my "A" race, there is no doubt I would race it.  Would worry about my ankle afterward.  Anyway, I have been pouting since Sat.  Depressed, angry, grumpy, irritable, etc.  That means eating comfort food -- ice cream, chips, ice cream, pizza, chips, beer, tacos, etc.  Sleeping in late, not exercising.  Afraid to step on the scale.  Need to just tape my pie-hole shut and starve myself for a few weeks to loose a bunch of weight before I start training for IMFL.

This freaking sucks.  I hate being injured.

So today -- Wed -- I decided to go swim at Trousdale and see how my ankle felt.  Wake up, get coffee, etc., drive to Trousdale and.... FWC trainees in the pool again.  WTF!!!!  Ok, let's see.  Public city pool.  Half the lanes are already taken up by ATAC, so us public swimmers are already limted.  Now add FWC trainees into the mix, and the "public" can only use about 20% of the "public" pool.  I CALL BULLSHIT!  I have no problem with FWC using the pool to train, but come-on, use some freaking sense Tallahassee.  Don't schedule FWC and ATAC at the same time.  Doing so screws over your citizens.  And put those trainess in one lane only -- don't spread them out over multiple lanes.  All they are doing is treading water.  So City of Tallahassee, I'm watching you.  Fix this shit now.  Don't make me call you out at a city meeting.

Wed am -- I finally heard back from Gulf Coast -- they won't offer me a refund or defer me to next year... so, I am back on for Gulf Coast.  I have been eating like shit this week and doing no exercise, so I guess I am fully rested and full of some level of energy.  Gonna swim, see how the bike goes, and not run at all.  Rest my ankle if I can.

Been wearing compression socks all week, hoping that helps get rid of the swelling.  I have more mobility in my ankle, but know that I am still a long way from recovery.

Nothing to report for the rest of the week.  I will post update for Gulf Cost in my next race report.  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment